Monday, May 19, 2008

Arrival

Finally in Barcelona...after a delay in Las Vegas, then a 5 hour plane ride to Newark, a one hour connection, then a 6 1/2 hour plane ride to Barcelona....but I'm finally here!!!

After picking up my luggage, I met with the IES people to get all the information about my housing and orientation, and once I did all that, it was like a 20 minute cab ride to my apartment. The cab driver was very nice, telling me all kinds of things about the city. I met the land lady as I walked into the apartment building. She's an older lady, super sweet. I want to say her name is Augustina. Anyways, as I came in with all my luggage, she informed me that the elevator was broken and that I would have to carry everything up to the third floor. She let me leave my big heavy bag down with her while I went upstairs to get into the apartment and drop off my backpack. I walked up the three flights of stairs, found the apartment door, put my key in, and then for the life of me I couldn't get the door open. After ten minutes or so of trying to get the door open, I gave up and walked back downstairs. The landlady said she didn't have a key to the apartment and that maybe I should try calling the RA. I decided I would go up and wrestle with the door once more. Up the three flights of stairs again...wrestled with the door some more, and finally, I got it open (I discovered that you have to pull as you turn the key, then push the door open). Then back down the stairs to lug my big heavy suitcase up to the apartment.

The apartment is pretty big. I share a room with another girl, Tania from Texas. After getting all my stuff in. I walked around, investigated the kitchen, bathroom, living room, etc. The apt is in a good neighborhood, lots of little restaurants, a school, and a hospital near by. Also, I'm pretty sure there's a strip club next door; however, I was assured this is a very nice neighborhood. Our windows look out onto the busy street--the noise kind of reminds me of the noise I could hear from my room in Lone Mountain--the sirens sound a bit different though.
I had this moment looking at the window, totally alone in this apartment, where I felt completely disoriented and out of my mind, like what the hell did I get myself into. But after that brief moment, I laid down on the couch and took a much needed nap. One of my roommates, the girl I share a room with showed up. It was nice to finally have another person here and not feel so alone. We chatted, unpacked a little bit, and decided we were both starving and needed to get some food. As we were leaving the apartment, another one of our roommates, Kelly, showed up.

Tania and I found our way to the nearest metro station and took the metro to Placa de Catalunya and Las Ramblas. We walked around, went to El Corte Ingles to get some linens, which were ridiculously over priced. The pillows were like 40 euro, which is like 60 bucks. We found some other pillows, that are square, which I find odd, more reasonably priced. Walking around Las Ramblas was fun. All the street performers and little shops. We got bocadillos of bread and salami for lunch--super tasty too. There was also this market type thing, with tons of fruit and chocolates and meats. I got some fresh pineapple orange juice. We walked around some more, then made our way back to the apartment.

It still feels a little surreal actually being here, but its great so far. I'm excited to meet the other roommates. I'm exhausted, but I need to unpack, and I don't want to get jetlag, so I'm trying not to sleep again until I got to bed tonight. Orientation starts tomorrow--I'm sure it will give me plenty more to say. I haven't taken any pictures yet, but I'll take some of the apt and post them soon.

No comments: